Saturday, January 18, 2014

I have really enjoyed cooking from this book so far, so it is definitely worth a look. There have be

Croque Madame culinary scholarships Muffins culinary scholarships eat, little bird
Here is another fabulous recipe from Rachel Khoo with her take on the French classic, a Croque Madame . Most people would be familiar culinary scholarships with a Croque Monsieur which is a toasted cheese and ham sandwich, commonly served in most French bistros for lunch or as a light snack. For a more decadent treat, the Croque Monsieur is also sometimes coated culinary scholarships with a béchamel sauce and baked in the oven until the sauce is golden and bubbling.
What makes these croque madam muffins so incredibly luscious is the addition of béchamel sauce, or rather a mornay sauce (a béchamel sauce with cheese). Sounds like a bit of effort for a snack, but the sauce hardly takes any time to make for the quantity required for these muffins, not to mention that you are most likely to have these ingredients to hand in the fridge and pantry.
On the show, you don’t see Rachel Khoo adding any cheese to her béchamel sauce, but her book suggests adding a small amount of grated cheese culinary scholarships to the sauce and later for sprinkling, which I did for extra flavour.
The only special culinary scholarships purchase I had to make was the sliced white bread, something which I have never bought upon moving to Switzerland given the amazing variety of bread on offer. But I was thankful to see that the supermarkets offered sliced bread in small packages of about 10 slices – perfect culinary scholarships for the infrequent consumer of pappy white bread. Though, now that I have tried these Croque Madame Muffins, I have found myself buying this type of bread more often …
Although a Croque Madame traditionally has the inclusion of ham, you could certainly leave it out for a vegetarian option. I didn’t have any ham at home but we always have a constant supply of bacon in the fridge. So I fried the bacon in a pan until it just about to crisp and was still pliable so that I could easily wrap it inside the slices of bread which form a cup to hold all of the other ingredients.
Depending on the size of your muffin tin, you might find that once you have lined each compartment with bread and ham or bacon, you won’t have enough space to contain a whole egg (plus the sauce which goes on top of the egg). One tip is to gently crack the egg near the top and to pour out some of the egg white into a bowl, before placing the rest of the egg into the muffin tin. It sounds like a bit of a waste but if you have smallish eggs, they should be fine. Otherwise, if you can find super-large white sliced bread where you are to form larger “muffins”, these should accommodate a whole large egg.
While these Croque Madame Muffins might sound a bit fiddly, they are packed with flavour and I think they are a nice change to your usual eggs on toast. My only disappointment was that my bread did not crisp up very much, despite having been liberally brushed with melted butter. If I had left them in the oven for longer, the eggs would have over-cooked. But otherwise, as a fan of anything smothered in béchamel culinary scholarships sauce, I found these little egg and bacon cups to be quite delicious and have already recreated them a few times
Ooh definitely check out the cookbook if you can – there are so many wonderful recipes in there. I’ve seen a lot of breakfast ideas for baked eggs which are baked in a muffin tin, but I never thought to coat it in a béchamel sauce! This was really delicious.
Oooh I saw this on her programme on YouTube culinary scholarships and loved the idea of it immediately. My jeans are pinching me at the moment, after reading this haha! Gorgeous piccies as ever Thanh Love the blue trimmed platter..
Oh yes, look away if you are on a diet! But if it is true that French women don’t get fat, it might be because they would only eat one of these yummy Croque Madame Muffins, and not two or three!
I have really enjoyed cooking from this book so far, so it is definitely worth a look. There have been two recipes so far which didn’t turn out to my liking, but that hasn’t stopped my enthusiasm, thank goodness!
Oh, that’s so nice of you, Anita! I’m glad you enjoy looking at my photos These muffins certainly look better before they are eaten … I took an after shot and, while it was delicious culinary scholarships to eat with all of that runny yolk, it was not very pretty to look at!
Oh. culinary scholarships My. God. I. Want. These. Now.
These look fantastic! culinary scholarships Perfect for brunch culinary scholarships or lunch with a salad. Also, the method of using a muffin tin and soft white bread is really clever. I wonder culinary scholarships what else I could do with a muffin tin and white bread?? Brush the bread with garlic butter and fill the middle with a meatball??
Ooh I love the sound of garlic culinary scholarships butter!! And to fill it with a meatball and some béchamel sauce … sounds delicious!! You would probably have to lightly cook the meatballs first, but that would be the same effort as cooking some bacon like I did for this recipe. I will keep this combination in mind the next time we hav

No comments:

Post a Comment