Sunday, January 19, 2014

Eh, not really feeling cooking courses this one. OER, ONT, OAS, SLO, RES, LAPPS, A TEST, EMER, ARSEN


Internet in your pocket sloganeer / WED 8-14-13 / Oscar winner Jannings / Electronically scored duel / Youngest 600-homer man / Norwegian import in dairy case / Beatnik's percussion / Aussie rockers with knickers-clad lead guitarist / Rotgut buyer perhaps / To whom Brabantio says Thou art villain
THEME: THINGS WITH HOLES  ( 56A: What 20-, 28-, 36- and 45-Across are ) — pretty self-explanatory. Theme answers: 20A: Norwegian import in the dairy case (JARLSBERG CHEESE) 28A: Links (GOLF COURSE) 36A: You can hardly believe it (FLIMSY ALIBI) 45A: Bit of equipment for an outdoor kids' game (WIFFLE cooking courses BALL) Word of the Day: FRA diavolo  ( 30D: ___ diavolo ) — Fra Diavolo  ( Italian  for " Brother  Devil") is the name given to a spicy  sauce  for  pasta  or  seafood . Most versions are  tomato -based and use  chili peppers  for cooking courses spice, but the term is also used for sauces that include cooking courses no tomato, or that use  cayenne  or other forms of  pepper . According to chef  Mario Batali , the spicy sauce is an Italian-American creation and is rarely served in Italy. (wikipedia)
This is a perfectly cooking courses adequate cooking courses puzzle. A placeholder. An inoffensive straightforward not-much-too-it fabrication. I don't know why I was able to solve it in 3:19 when I'm seeing times of my rivals running 30 seconds to two minutes slower. Do people not know what JARLSBERG CHEESE is? Not sure what else could be holding people back here. I did balk at FLIMSY ALIBI , which feels mildly arbitrary in its adjective, and I stumbled around a bit in the vicinity of HEXAD / DISH (the latter was oddly slippery). SEISMS didn't leap straight to mind. Couldn't remember LEPPS or LAPPS (70A: Northern Scandinavians) . Wrote FEINTS for FEIGNS . But these were all very minor setbacks. Would've liked some more colorful answers in the themes (e.g. ROTTEN TEETH)—seems like the kind of theme that could go on and on, with enough answers for a Sunday, but no way it's interesting enough for a Sunday (unless you did something cooking courses quirky with the grid structure, or had some extra dimension to the "hole" concept). Fill on this is not that good. Bit too heavy on the abbr. and xwordese, nothing particularly dashing (outside the themers) besides cooking courses maybe IN A SLUMP . Discussed the various spellings of " LAYLA " (LEILA, LEELA, LAILA) while walking home from dinner in Manhattan the other night, so " LAYLA " was even more of a gimme than usual. Four variations are, in order: Clapton song, character in "The Pearl Fishers," one-eyed character on "Futurama," boxer Ali. My favorite part of the puzzle is Will's nice update to the clue on ALIAS . Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld
Pretty easy for a Wed.  No erasures and only RES, EMIL, FRA, EPEE, and NEALE were crossword based knowledge.  ARSENE was the only WOE, but I'm not really into literary mystery genre (TV mysteries are another story).  This was an OK Wed., nothing too awful, nothing that great.  So, yeah, I agree with Rex.
Easy. Failed to start the timer so I don't know how easy, but there were no serious holdups. Knew 20A straightaway but didn't put it in until a few crosses told me I was right. Wanted F__G__ (47D) to become FORGED, and DAMN the EPEE. But the EPEE won in the end. Last fill was 56A, leading to a groan. And a WTF at 46D - IP HONE? Took a few seconds to see what it really cooking courses was. D'oh...... Thanks, Ms. Keller.
Found this completely underwhelming. THINGSWITHHOLES. Whee. As Rex has said about other themes in the recent past, why things with holes? Why these things? This is the ONETEN of themes, in my opinion. Random, factual cooking courses but uninteresting thing with not-particularly interesting answers to go along with the theme. You could easily go with things that are red or with lines or that are soft or that are cute or any other adjective or noun out there. Finished in what is typically easy/medium Tuesday time for me. Only hangups were RIEL/EMIL, and my getting my Greek and Latin roots mixed up, giving me SEXAD for a bit. Aside from Carlos Danger (which was a fantastic, timely cooking courses clue), I didn't think anything had any zip here. The puzzle was just there. It could be an answer for whenever someone decides THINGSTHATARETHERE would make a good theme.
Eh, not really feeling cooking courses this one. OER, ONT, OAS, SLO, RES, LAPPS, A TEST, EMER, ARSENE, cooking courses SEL, RIEL, MME, FRA, COL, LAH, ONE-A. I'd take a few of those, but not all. I think I've heard of JARLSBERG CHEESE, but I have no idea if I've ever eaten it. That was the toughest theme answer to sort out, and it pushed me to a Medium time. Rex mentioned FLIMSY ALIBI as kinda arbitrary. I'd say the revealer is arbitrary too. I prefer revealers to be solid, in-the-language phrases themselves, rather than bland descriptions like 56-Across. Okay, fine, "holes" is the link between the theme entries -- simple idea, noth

No comments:

Post a Comment